Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Touch of Melancholy

I'm feeling a little bit melancholy about Thanksgiving. It's second only to Christmas as a special day to me, and it's increased in importance since my cancer experience almost 4 years ago. I was diagnosed with colon cancer the day before Thanksgiving and had my colon resection the day after it. So, Thanksgiving was spent in the hospital instead of around a table with lots of family. As a matter of fact, I didn't get anything to eat because of my impending surgery and all the testing that went before it.

I'm very grateful that my cancer was discovered early, and that I am still (so far!) in the clear. I've been blessed with that, for sure. But it does smart a little that Thanksgiving has that extra bit of importance to me now, but it doesn't seem to be that way for my family. Unless something happens that I'm not anticipating, it will be just Bill and me around a quiet table. Bill's absolutely wonderful, as always, but Thanksgiving to me should be about a bountiful table and lots of sweet faces to gaze at around the table.

For anyone that cares to know, my 4-year anniversary is Nov. 23.

2 comments:

  1. You sound like a wonderful women.
    We are looking for someone who might be able to reach out to a spouse from one of your chat boards, she is married to a very quiet man,and has very little knowledge of computers or the cancer chatboards, or how to reach anyone on any of them for moral support.
    She is Mrs. Buckwirth, Buckwirth is her hubby. He is a very private man, she is someone who could use a friend from your chatboards.
    We do not have her phone number,or email, but if you could email.....adexec66@yahoo.com we could pass the info on to her.
    Prayers for you, your family, and those who are going thru the same.

    ReplyDelete