Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Paying It Forward

When I was diagnosed with colon cancer, my dear doctor came in my hospital room and gently asked me how I was feeling about the news. Without even thinking, my answer was, "I hope I can use this experience to help others." And since that day almost 4 years ago, that's what I have tried to do.

Whenever someone at church is diagnosed with cancer, I try to contact them and offer support, sharing resources I have. And people in the community often tell me of new cancer patients because of my work with Relay For Life, and I try to contact those people, too, and let them know I'm there for them. I don't mind the task at all, but what does hurt is the fact that I am called on so often. Still way too many people hearing the words, "You have cancer."

I wish I could wave a magic wand and have cancer be erased from the body of each scared, worried patient. Because that is an impossible dream, I will do what I can and help where I can. 










1 comment:

  1. We are never given more then we can handle. It is our job to help our "brother" and I think you do a fine job of it. Keep up God's work.

    ReplyDelete